Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Complications at birth

During the birth of my first son, things suddenly took a turn for the worst and it got very scary. The first problems came after a full night in the hospital in labor. My husband and I were both there and at about 5 am and my demoral began in wear off and I was in great amount of pain. When my hubby called the nurses and they came to check me, I was almost fully dilated and soon began to feel the need to push. But they told me not to. They were trying to hurry to get the epidural in me when Jaxon’s heart rate suddenly dropped and my blood pressure went through the roof. I was terrified and crying because I didn’t know if my baby would be ok. I was rushed into the OR and after only 10 minutes and with the amazing staff, my beautiful baby boy was born; 17 in long and 4 lbs. 4 oz. I at the time had no idea that my water had broke during the epidural and there was quite a lot of meconium in the amniotic fluid. He was 3 weeks early but still considered full-term.

I was fine and everyone assured me that my baby was fine but I didn’t see him for another 14 hours afterward. He wasn’t in NICU but was on antibiotics for 24 hours after his birth. I was so upset and heartbroken that I couldn’t see him and at 7:30 that evening I lost all my patients and assured the nurse that if a wheel chair wasn’t brought at that minute I would be walking with my catheter in my hands down to the nursery to see him. Immediately a wheel chair was brought and I was taken down to the nursery to see him. He was in an incubator so that he would stay warm since he was so tiny and was connected to an IV for the antibiotics.

The next morning was the first time I held him, he was brought to me and I wouldn’t allow him to leave the room after that. I wanted him with me at all times.

In the last 2 and a half years, I’ve given birth twice; and have had three friends that have had babies. Out of all 5 births, 4 were cesarean section births, 3 due to complications, 1 planned c-section, and 1 vaginal birth.

I guess complications during delivery are more common than I thought. But thankfully we have so much more medical technology than 50 years ago

No comments:

Post a Comment